Can a Woman Be President?
Just Ask This Lady!
Our branch partnered with Sierra College Student Senate to host “Elect Her-Campus Women Win,” a student leadership training workshop developed by AAUW and Running Start. Marisa Magallanes was elected president and student trustee of the Associated Students of Sierra College for 2013-2014. “Being able to apply the tools and strategies I learned through the Elect Her training into my campaign as student body president made all the difference. I now have the privilege of calling myself President and Trustee Magallanes!”
Upcoming $tart $mart Workshops
Wednesday, Oct. 9: Career in Life Planning
Thursday, Oct. 10 During the campus Social Justice Week
Thursday, Oct. 17 in “Career Planning” class
Thursday, Nov. 7 In two classes: College Success and Career Planning
Friday, Nov. 8 In Career Planning class
Tuesday, Nov. 12 In Personal Development class
Monday, Dec. 2 in “College Success” class
Monday, Dec. 2 at Sierra in Rocklin
Sierra College is an AAUW College Partner Member, which give the college priority consideration for AAUW programs, grants, and scholarships. We collaborate with the college on the following programs:
- $tart $mart, is a workshop to empower students with the skills to negotiate equal pay and benefits.
- Elect Her-College Women Win! is an all-day training which gives students the skills to run for elected positions in campus student government and beyond college.
- National Conference for College Women Student Leaders (NCCWSL): A college woman is sponsored to attend the annual 3-day leadership conference held in Washington D.C.
- E-Student Affiliate Members are college students who can join AAUW for free. They receive notices, electronically, about branch events, campus workshops, and scholarship opportunities.
- “Know Your Body Week,”a campus event to instill good health; AAUW information is distributed.
- Social Justice Week: a campus-wide event, during which we do a $tart $mart workshop, distribute AAUW information, and recruit student affiliate members
- Additionally, we send information to staff and students about the Campus Action Project grant, scholarships, membership, workshops, and events.
Much appreciation to Sierra staff for their ongoing interest and support of AAUW programs:
Willy Duncan, President
Brook Oliver, Counselor & Coordinator for Career Connections
Sheila Dobbins, Secretary
Tim Haenny, Student Senate
Stephanie Coday, Psychology
Megan Seely, Sociology Chair
Lynn Mediros, History
Marisa Magallanes, ASSC President
And thank you to the numerous instructors who have invited us into their classrooms to present workshops and to all the college students who extend their appreciation to us.
Sierra College Leadership Committee Members:
Michele Stark – Chair
Claudia Cory – Deputy
Please join the Sierra College Leadership Committee!